IVF is expensive and it’s hard to know how many treatments you might end up needing, what types of treatment, and whether you will be able to afford it. Then there’s all the extras such as medication costs which aren’t always included in the displayed prices.
To create a Gaia Plan, we review the clinic’s treatment prices against your treatment plan, to give you full transparency of your total costs. We’ll then fix the price upfront, including all medication costs, so you’ll never be left guessing or worrying about costs spiralling.
We can provide a Plan for every HEFA registered clinic in the UK, which means we have access to the costs of every clinic. We’re always happy to help you understand the costs at your chosen clinic, or explore them with you.
Here we’ll take you through some key numbers, and a breakdown of the biggest factors that can impact the cost.
The cost of IVF in 3 of the UK’s major cities
Based on our data, we know how much a complete round of IVF treatment typically costs in three of the UK’s major cities, London, Birmingham and Manchester:
- In London, a complete round of IVF treatment typically costs between £6,115 and £9,195
- In Birmingham, a complete round of IVF treatment typically costs between £4,845 and £7,625
- In Manchester, a complete round of IVF treatment typically costs between £4,845 and £7,405
Data last updated: June 2023. Costs can vary, depending on the clinic – and will likely increase over time.
To understand how much IVF might cost you, it’s also important to understand why costs can vary.
2 things that impact the cost of IVF treatment
IVF treatment types
There are several different types of IVF treatment. Depending on what kind of treatment you need, you will likely have extra costs on top of a standard IVF round:
- IVF + ICSI means on average £1,100 extra – most common treatment for heterosexual couples in cases of male infertility
- Sperm Donor IVF means on average £1,000 extra – for same-sex couples, single parents or for heterosexual couples who choose to use donor sperm
- Egg Donor IVF means on average £2,800 extra – for same-sex couples, single parents or for heterosexual couples who choose to use donor eggs
Extra costs for the “Egg and/or Sperm Donor IVF” treatment also include admin, transport and registration fees from the chosen donor bank.
Hidden costs in clinics’ treatment packages
There are essential treatments and procedures that you’ll need to complete your IVF treatment. But fertility clinics don’t always include all of them in their package pricing.
This is why you’ll see lots of fertility clinics list their IVF treatment cost at £3,000, but in reality what you end up spending is closer to £6,000.
What might be missing from your clinic’s IVF package?
When researching clinics and their costs, make sure to check what the clinic includes in their package price and what you might have to pay for separately.
Here’s a breakdown of treatments and procedures that could be missing at each stage of a complete IVF cycle, and how much more each will cost on top of a standard package.
1. Initial tests and consultation
- + £250 - £800 for pre-treatment tests and scans
- + £250 - £500 for viral screening
- + £150 - £300 for initial consultation
2. Stimulation phase
- + £60 - £1,200 for monitoring blood tests
- + £150 for monitoring scans
- + £900 - £2,000 for medication
3. Egg collection
- + £150 - £350 for sedation
- + £300 - £800 for blastocyst culture
5. Embryo transfer
- + £400 - £800 for medication
- + £300 - £1,000 for embryo freezing and storage
6. Pregnancy test
- + £100 - £200 for pregnancy blood test
- +£150 - £250 for pregnancy scan
About medication costs…
Medication is a requirement throughout the IVF process. You’ll take medication to stimulate follicle growth, during embryo transfer, and in some cases, during pregnancy. Because of this, IVF medication costs can range between £500 and £3,500 for any IVF round.
The price of your medication depends on the protocol, type of medication and the clinic you choose. For that reason, most clinics don’t include medication costs in their base packages.
Take the guesswork out of how much your treatment will cost by requesting a personalised Gaia Plan that works directly with the clinic of your choice to fix all costs upfront. If you don’t have a clinic in mind, we can help you compare costs, or other factors, to choose one. Complete a short questionnaire and request a Gaia Plan here.
“Thanks to Gaia we still have over 70% of our savings in our IVF pot” – Lizzy, Gaia Member